Updated: Sep 1, 2022
Written By Frederick Health
Follow these 10 easy tips to stay hydrated over the long weekend!
Tip #1 - Drink plenty of water
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, daily fluid intake recommendations vary greatly according to age and gender. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, water intake should be increased. Start each day by drinking a large glass of cup of water each morning when you wake up and another glass before bed. Have another glass at least a half hour before every meal. Drink one or two cups after working out. Drinking fluids gradually throughout the day is the best way to to ward off dehydration,
Tip #2 - Know the signs of dehydration.
Signs of dehydration include:
dry, irritated, inflamed, itchy, or sensitive skin
experiencing headaches or feeling dizzy or fatigued
not urinating or having very dark yellow urine
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, the simple solution is to get out of the heat and drink plenty of liquids. There are small over-the-counter options like Pedialyte and Hydralyte that balance out electrolytes and sodium with dehydration as well.
"“You are 87% water; the other 13% keeps you from drowning.”
P. E. Morris
Tip #3 - Check your urine.
A good measurement of hydration is the color of your urine. Pale urine, similar to the color of straw, indicates proper hydration while darker urine is a sign that you need more water. A dark yellow or amber color means you may have mild to severe dehydration. Of course, other medications and health conditions could affect this. If you’re concerned about the color of your urine, consult with your health provider.
Tip #4 - Avoid alcohol, sugary drinks, and caffeine.
Avoid drinks that will dehydrate your body - some of the culprits are:
wine and hard liquor
They are loaded with sugar, sodium, and other ingredients that actively remove water from your tissues. Make sure to rehydrate with double the amount of water for each dehydrating drink you consume.
Tip #5 - Infuse with flavor.
Not a frequent water drinker? Try sprucing up your water by adding a few simple ingredients. Limes, lemons, mint, oranges, berries, cucumbers, and other fruits improve the taste without artificial sweeteners or preservatives. This can help you drink more water than you usually do, too. You can also give coconut water a try. This mineral-rich liquid is packed with potassium, magnesium, sodium, and calcium, so it replenishes lost fluids and electrolytes from exercise and hot climates quickly.
Tip #6 - Eat foods with high water content.
Did you know that approximately 80 percent of our water intake comes from drinking water? The other 20 percent comes from food. All whole fruits and vegetables contain some water, but snack on these for maximum benefit: cucumbers, celery, tomatoes, radishes, peppers, cauliflower, watermelon, spinach, strawberries, broccoli, and grapefruit. They all contain 90 percent water or higher.
Tip #7 - Cool down.
Proper hydration isn’t just about drinking water—it’s about regulating your body temperature, too. During summer, when the risk for heat stroke is at its highest, wear light, loose-fitting clothing in light colors; schedule strenuous sports and physical activities during cooler times of the day; protect yourself from the sun with hats and other shade accessories; take drink breaks often; and mist yourself with a spray bottle if you become overheated.
Tip #8 - Replenish when you sweat.
Play a sport? Heading out on a hike? It’s essential to drink water throughout these activities. Your sweat rate, the humidity, and how long you’ve exercised are all factors to consider. Proper hydration means getting enough water before, during, and after exercise. The American Council on Exercise recommends these guidelines before, during, and after a workout:
Drink 17-20 oz. two to three hours before you exercise.
Drink 8 oz. 20-30 minutes before you exercise.
Drink 7-10 oz. every 10-20 minutes during exercise.
Drink 8 oz. no more than 30 minutes after exercise.
Tip #8 - Choose water during flights.
Airports and flights can be very dehydrating. It’s not easy to drink as much as you usually do when you’re on the go for summer vacation, and airplanes are known for low-humidity air, which contributes to low hydration at touchdown. Pack an empty reusable water bottle with you in your carry-on bag and then fill it up with water after going through security. Skip the vending machines at the airport and ask for water when the beverage cart passes by mid-flight.
Tip #10 - 10. Consider a probiotic.
Our bodies are home to good and bad bacteria. They’re in our mouth, gut, and skin. Probiotics are living microorganisms found in yogurt and other cultured foods and supplements that can help improve your body’s bacteria. Taking a probiotic can help improve your immune system, protect against infection, and improve your digestion and absorption of food and nutrients—including water. Probiotics also help with several conditions associated with dehydration, including diarrhea.
Athletic Greens is a probiotic drink that not only hydrates your body, but improves gut health, supports immunity, boosts energy and antioxidants levels and to top it all off, tastes great as well. Check it out on their website here.
And now, enjoy the upcoming Labor Day Weekend!
Stay safe, cool, and hydrated this summer. And remember, if you’re experiencing any symptoms of dehydration or heat stroke, seek help immediately - don't delay!
If your dehydration is severe, call 911